Friday, January 10, 2014

a s p i r a t i o n.

It all started my sophomore year of high school when I took two Criminal Justice dual credit classes. I not only loved the classes, but I knew I wanted to do some kind of job dealing with crime for the rest of my life. As I got older and went on to school at DBU I had a sudden interest in Psychology. I knew I wanted to mix the two together but wasn't sure how or what I would do. I had the idea of maybe being a victims counselor and work at a police department. This seemed reasonable but deep inside I knew that there was something missing, I just didn't know that within my first semester of college God would reveal to me His true calling in my life. 

I became close to some girls on my hallway in the dorms, one in particular was Madison Rangel. She would often talk about her passion for human trafficking. I didn't think too much about it, I didn't fully understand or have the knowledge of what human trafficking really was. One night Madison and her roommate Taylor invited me to go with them down to the town homes to watch a documentary called Nefarious: Merchant of Souls with a few other friends that were passionate about putting an end to human trafficking. I simply tagged along just to have something to do. When I am upset I don't get sad and cry, I get mad; and this documentary was fueling my anger. I got so upset I actually got up and left, but I did go back to finish watching. 

After watching Nefarious and learning more about human trafficking, I realized why God had called me to major in Psychology and Criminology! It blows me away that God had put it in my brain to major in psychology and criminology and not know why, and later reveal to me exactly what He had planned for me! 

Everyone has done it when you're around your friends goofing around and you make jokes about "the corner", pimps, "whores", joking about prostitution. I will admit I have been guilty of this, not knowing that most prostitutes are forced into trafficking, or are under 18 years old. After I learned how serious this matter is, how young the girls are, what they go through, how some girls are kidnapped from their normal every day lifestyles, the evilness of it all, I loathe jokes about prostitution. It's not something to joke about, it's offensive. Think about it like this, when people have relatives that are mentally retarded they take it very offensive for someone to use the word retarded or stupid, especially calling someone that out of spite. 

I'm not 100% sure what God has planned for me long term. At first I was thinking of working for a human trafficking organization; maybe move to Mumbai, India (a red light district) and help rescue and counsel women. But I have done a lot of research on human trafficking and I know that the National Human Trafficking Hotline receives 30% of its calls from Texas. Texas is a human trafficking hot spot. Texas has lots of interstate highways, international airports, and borders Mexico. I have read stories of girls being kidnapped (for human trafficking) from malls that I go to regularly only 20 miles from my home. So why not stay home and put a stop to human trafficking in my own back yard before I move across the world to do the same exact thing? I envision myself one day owning a huge ranch in the middle of no where, I would build cabins to house rescued girls, counsel and rehabilitate them. Now, I am not saying that this ranch would be only for victims of human trafficking, although that would be my main focus, but also those who were in a bad situation at home or whatever the circumstance that they would need to get away for a healing process. Not only would they would be receiving counseling, learning skills, and participate in the activities we would provide at the ranch; but we would be sharing with them the gospel of Jesus Christ, the one and only true healer and redeemer. We would have bible studies, and a sunday church service. I want my ranch to be secluded so that the victims feel safe, knowing that those same people who hurt them cannot find them. That is my long term goal, but for now, I have been reading online about women's centers that are around my area and emailing them for more information. I'm praying that I can get a job at a women's center, if not though I would want to volunteer in my spare time (which is not very much time with school and work).
 January is human trafficking awareness month, please join me in prayer for the ones who are scared, depressed, and hopeless. To pray for workers, the ones giving their lives to serving the girls in need of someone, the workers in India rescuing girls from brothels. I encourage you to start praying for human trafficking victims, or find an organization you can financially support. Also, don't forget how big of an impact you could make by making human trafficking aware to the people you know. Madison brought me to awareness, and not it's my turn. Below I have a few links to organizations you should check out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment